9.23.2010

Today.

Well, I never would have considered myself to becoming a blogger. About a month ago I thought about it and it never took off. But, today I met with a man named Dayne Gingrich who runs the website www.coachyourmind.com. He told me I didn't have a choice but to start blogging all my ideas. I had emailed him about a month ago because I wanted to meet with him to learn about his job and website. I know I want to go into some sort of sports counseling/psychology but was confused on how to even begin this journey. Dayne promptly emailed me back and we met at a local Starbucks.

When we started talking, I felt that Dayne is one of the first people who I have met who gets exactly what I want to do. I want to help high school and collegiate athletes succeed mentally. There are many mental sides of sports that get over looked. Between the pressure of playing and succeeding in school to dealing with egos to being injured. Our world is too focused on the physical side of sports that they don't realize how much we are overlooking the mental side. There have been way to many athletes lives been ended early because of the pressure sports put on them.

I am also writing this blog to help me document and process my journey through this transition phase of my life. Besides trying to weave by way through the working world, I am on day 3 of studying for the GRE and in the process of starting a guidance counseling internship and attempting to get a job as a high school girls soccer assistant coach. Oh and on top of that, trying to figure out who I am and what I am ultimately going to do with my life. I know I am young but I like to have answers (I am working on my patience :)).

One of the last questions Dayne asked me was "do you have any reason why you wouldn't want to pursue this field?" He caught me off guard as I was trying to think of something. I couldn't. Not one thing. So here it goes.

2 comments:

  1. BOOM...

    And there you have it! I can't wait to follow your progress. You're definitely going to go big, no question.

    Remember... always step. Sometimes that step will be sideways, backwards, or diagonal... but keep stepping. Action rewards!

    Dayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Bren, I am very proud of you!!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete